Pages

Monday, December 31, 2012

My New Year's Resolutions

Well it is time for that yearly tradition to cite New Year's Resolutions.  I'm pretty sure the definition of "New Year's resolution" is:
A promise you make to yourself that you pretty much know you aren't going to keep.
 So instead of simply saying quietly to myself what I intend to do I'm going to put all of mine out there.  This way I can at least be honest and upfront and we can all share in my failure.


  1. Pray more:  I found a book on Dominican Prayer that I have yet to pick up and try.  Starting in the New Year I will keep on this blog a daily journal (as the book suggests to keep a journal) of my experiences with such.  Should be interesting.
  2. Go cold turkey on video games during Lent:  I'll have to wait until Lent on this one, but I have decided that the only way to cut back on video games in Lent is to do it completely.  This includes Sundays.  Readers will remember that my last attempt to limit my time was an epic disaster.  So this year I'm going all out.  I have the local insane asylum on speed dial just in case.
  3. No commenting for three months:  I have come to realize that comment boxes are little more than an occasion of sin.  The very rare case where an intelligent conversation can occur is eclipsed by the far too numerous incidents of flame wars that I routinely get sucked into.  I'm convinced that people who post in comment sections of Facebook posts to lash out in empty-headed fashion are working through emotional issues that logic and reason have no way to touch.  I am tired for my part and have no interest in contributing to such a toxic environment.  So for the next three months I refuse to post comments anywhere.
  4. Learn the Korean language:  I have been flirting with this for far too long.  But this year I will finally jump this hurdle and learn the Korean language.  Or at least I hope so.

So there they are.  The die is cast.  The gauntlet has been thrown down.  Life, I challenge you to a duel.  

No comments: